Thursday, May 5, 2011

Confidence

Confidence is defined by the dictionary as: Belief in oneself and one's powers or abilities. 


Let me just tell you, in the past few weeks I have learned that a little bit of CONFIDENCE goes a long way!  I am a small gal. 5'3/4".  But if I walk into a room with a confident attitude and swagger, I appear 6 feet tall!  I know this because over the last few weeks I have experienced this newfound and glorious spur of confidence in daily life, education, and job opportunities.  


I had an interview, first, to become an adult leader on a YMAD (Youth Making a Difference) humanitarian expedition to the Philippines.  I went into my interview confident that I was the best person for the job.  I got in! Instead of being an adult leader, however, I was put in charge of Community Outreach and Photography. Exciting, I know!


Second, I met with the founders of YMAD at our first Philippines meeting.  I walked right up to him, unafraid to share my capabilities and confident that I could assist their humanitarian mission.  Wouldn't you know it I got an email that night asking if I would be their "One Day" event media director.  Holy Cow! 


Finally, at a soccer game that I was coaching I saw a man that I was once introduced to by my dad. I knew he had something to do with the business school and marketing department.  So I walked up, shook his hand, and introduced myself throwing in the fact that I am a strat comm major with a minor in marketing.  To my astonishment and surprise he asked if I wanted an internship.  The business school was revamping it's marketing strategy.  I interviewed yesterday and I got the job!!! It's a paid internship where I will be working simultaneously with the business department and their ad agency to make the department more student and U friendly.  This is perfect for me.  The biggest and best opportunity I have ever had.  It's amazing what came of a little confidence and a handshake!


So, my advice to you, is that although confidence may seem like such a small trait, it goes an incredibly long way.  I feel like because of my confidence I have all of these fantastic opportunities knocking at my door.  I am moving toward the person that I want to be, and the one I know I will be proud of.  The next step will be to grow and sustain confidence in each of these opportunities.  Confidence has been the creator of my success!




CONFIDENT WORDS TO LIVE BY:


"I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today.  I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet.  I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it."


-Groucho Marx


For more information on YMAD and details of how to get involved, go to www.ymad.org!


I will leave you with some awesome images implying confidence!:)












Cheesy? Quite possibly. Funny? Absolutely.

2 comments:

  1. Love this! Go get em little tiger! SO proud of you....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! Good bye to all the lame jobs in food service. So exciting to finally be working in the field that you picked!

    ReplyDelete